How long does it take to become a driving instructor?
- 1 What’s the fastest way to become a driving instructor?
- 2 What are my options for Driving Instructor Training?
- 3 What do I need to start my ADI training?
- 4 Can I do my driving instructor training around my current job?
Your journey to become a driving instructor can take as long as you want it to.
On average, students qualify within 3-12 months but with LIDIA’s flexible learning you can take as many turns, scenic routes or breaks as you like. This blog lists everything you need to know to help you become a driving instructor.
What’s the fastest way to become a driving instructor?
The quickest route to become a driving instructor is by completing your ADI part 1 and part 2 tests as soon as possible, so you can get started on part 3. To achieve this, we recommend LIDIA’s intensive Full ADI Course Bundle. All content is available to you at any time and from any device, meaning you can choose when and where you want to study. It also includes:
- ADI part 1,2 and 3 on-demand courses
- Virtual course clinics
- In-car training
- Expert email trainer support, and so much more
What are my options for Driving Instructor Training?
No matter what stage you’re at there are several roads open to you. LIDIA provides a range of courses, along with flexible payment options and access to on-demand learning from any device, meaning you can find the best option that suits your lifestyle and commitments.
What do I need to start my ADI training?
Before you set off there are 3 steps you need to complete which we’ve listed below.
1. Check your eligibility
- You must be over the age of 21
- Have held a full UK driving licence for over 3 years
- Have less than 6 points on your driving licence
- You need all of the above checks to start your training
2. Get a DBS check
- You can complete this online
- It ensures you are eligible to work with others
- If you pass, you’ll receive a certificate which you’ll need to keep
- It usually takes 2-3 weeks to receive your DBS check back
If you need to apply for your DBS check, we’ve added the link here.
3. Apply to become a driving instructor
- Fill out the GOV.UK’s online application
- It’ll take about 1-2 weeks to receive your DVSA registration.
- You can start training once you receive your DVSA registration and your DBS certificate
If you’re ready to apply to become a driving instructor, apply now on the Gov website.
Can I do my driving instructor training around my current job?
Absolutely. Although an intensive course is the quickest option, LIDIA’s courses have lots of benefits that work around your goals, lifestyle and commitments. These include:
- Flexible learning – set your own study schedule
- On-demand resources are available anytime and from any device
- Choose the course that suits you